Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Dear Sister--Letters


Dear Sister,

I hope that you are doing all right.  I am glad to hear that the other ladies are nice and I know you are a big support to the other inmates.  We prayed for you in church this past Sunday.  My dad said that might want to hear a little about what we talked about on Sunday.  The Bible reading that we did was Psalm 1 and then after that, Acts 25.  I preached on Acts 25.  I talked about how Governor Porcius Festus (did you know his name means “Happy Pig” in English…the Romans liked to give people nicknames!) testifies to the King that Paul had done nothing “deserving death.”  When I started studying Acts 25, I was wondering why there was so much courtroom stuff in this chapter and in the chapters before.  How is this the gospel?  The Bible says things loud and clear but sometimes we are distracted and confused and it’s hard to hear but God is good and he gives us the answers.  I think the reason, first of all, that there’s “all this courtroom stuff” is because God wants us to get used to and prepared for trouble.  There are lots of Christians all over the world today that are in jail and in courtrooms.  The Bible says, “Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery trial that comes upon you…as though something strange were happening.” (I Peter 4)  But there’s a second reason for “all the courtroom stuff.”  The Bible wants to remind us of the courtroom of the Lord.  God is a judge sort of like Festus.  He (God) says to one, “You are right” and to the other, “you are wrong,” just like Festus said to Paul and his accusers.  I remember when our friend Z. was accused of shoplifting at K-Mart.  In the end the jury said to her, “you are in the right” (not guilty) and to K-Mart “you are wrong” (case closed). In Acts 25, we see God put his own word in the mouth of Festus.  Through Festus God declares Paul innocent.  Paul is in the right and his fellow Jews are in the wrong.  Isn’t it interesting that even though Festus doesn’t know the Lord, he honors and loves Festus anyway?  That’s our God, he’s so different from so many people.  In the Bible we learn about a Persian King, Cyrus.  He also did not know the Lord.  Here’s what it says in Isaiah 45, “Thus says the Lord to his Anointed, whose right hand I have held…I girded thee even though you don’t know me.”   
But you know, the main thing that I said on Sunday was something really surprising even to me, God has the sharpest sword in the world.  Why?  Because he is able to divide between man and his sin!  And in the courtroom of the world God says, “You are right” to mankind, and “you are wrong” to sin.  In fact, this is why there was the cross.  God’s word goes forth and prospers and blossoms and never fails of its purposes.  God’s word, “Yes!” to mankind and “No!” to sin and death and the devil, blossomed out and made the cross and the resurrection of Jesus the Anointed One.  Sister, there’s a lot of discouragement out there but the truth is encouragement.  God’s delight is to save all mankind. (I Timothy 2:4) I wanted to let you know about this. You certainly have encouraged me and I hope to encourage you too.

God bless you and all those who are with you both inmates and guards,

Amy

No comments: